Join Our Team
Want to reduce waste?
Share a passion for sustainability?
Enjoy driving in and around Summit County?
And, don’t mind getting your hands dirty, or a hard day’s work?
…These are just some of the things we are looking for in a Garbage Guru. Check out what else we’re looking for below.
If we’re hiring, you’ll see the open positions listed below. Please use the button below to apply.
And even if we aren’t hiring, we’re always happy to receive your letter of interest & resume.
TRASH & RECYCLING ROUTE ASSOCIATE (FULL-TIME)
About the Position:
The Garbage Gurus Route Associate position is for folks looking to work hard while doing good in Summit County. At its heart, the position requires you to run 4 to 8 Garbage Gurus routes per week, across 4 days per week. This position is open to both candidates holding a valid CDL (Commercial Drivers License - minimum Class B) and non-CDL candidates; variations in the position are described below.
You’ll be supporting the most critical aspect of our business, while also learning about our operations, positioning you for potential growth through our company if you so desire. You’ll be expected to spend 4 full to nearly-full days on routes. This is a full-time position with a growth opportunity for a greater leadership role. This is a physically demanding job, requiring you to be outside, rain or shine (or snow!), handling, emptying, and returning trash and recycling carts from curbside and in-garage locations.
As a Route Associate, your primary responsibility will be directly servicing Garbage Gurus members - picking up trash and recycling, and in the near future, food scraps for composting, from residential and commercial customers - along your routes. Throughout your routes, you’ll be serving as a representative and an ambassador of the Garbage Gurus company and our mission. You’ll be navigating from stop to stop using our preferred software, tracking your progress, emptying residential and small commercial carts, documenting excess collections, detailing contamination, photographing and texting proof of white-glove pick-ups, applying labels to new member’s carts, hanging flyers and posters in new White-Glove member’s garages, and occasionally interacting directly with members.
You’ll be expected to drive our vehicles safely and responsibly throughout all of your routes and any other company-related driving, and to complete your route efficiently. You’ll be expected to participate in basic route-prep activities (such as refilling marketing materials, bag refills, etc.) before your routes, truck maintenance such as keeping zerks greased, as well as sharing in basic site upkeep at our yard locations. You’ll be expected to keep Garbage Gurus vehicles clean and orderly, and undertake all necessary pre- and post-trip vehicle inspections.
You’ll be driving our fleet of small commercial trucks, servicing mainly residential customers. You will be expected to safely operate tippers, compactors, and other equipment associated with our trucks. (Training on use of tipper, compactor, and other mechanical equipment unique to waste collection vehicles, will be provided as needed.)
You’ll be supported by our small, experienced and hardworking team throughout! And, you’ll have the satisfaction of helping our Summit County members make recycling and composting an integral part of their lives, while helping us to grow our services throughout Summit County.
Compensation & Hours:
This is a full-time position with a guaranteed daily pay rate.
- non-CDL candidates: pay starts at an average of $25/hr.
- CDL (Commercial Driver’s License, class B or higher) candidates: pay starts at an average of $30/hr.
Exceptional associates will become eligible for profit-sharing opportunities.
* All new hires must complete 60-day Trial Period.
- Safely & efficiently service Garbage Gurus members
- Safely & responsibly drive Garbage Gurus vehicles along your routes
- Carefully track route progress and make notations as needed, using systems & software provided by Garbage Gurus
- Effectively & consistently represent Garbage Gurus as a company & its mission
- Both share & listen to on-the-job feedback to help improve operations, support the Garbage Gurus team and strengthen our community
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Passion for keeping Summit County beautiful, sustainability, recycling, composting, and/or related issues
- Ability to problem-solve on the go
- Entrepreneurial spirit & ability to work with the fast pace of a small, growing company
- Confident & safe driver
- Proficiency with basic databases & computer skills
- Punctuality, reliability, strong time management skills
- Clean driving record
- Must possess a valid Colorado driver’s license and pass a Department of Motor Vehicles background check
- Must live in or near Summit County
- Must pass a Garbage Gurus driving test
- Must pass a general background check
- Experience driving a variety of vehicles (full-sized pickup trucks & larger)
- Strong communication & interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle and maneuver carts weighing 50 pounds regularly and up to 80 pounds on occasion
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), class B minimum
- 2+ years of driving in mountain environments
- 2+ years of waste hauling experience
- 2+ years of customer service experience
- Delivery service experience (UPS, Amazon, etc.)
- Great sense of direction and familiarity with Summit County roads
- Great ability to drive trucks in reverse with mirrors and camera systems
- Basic vehicle troubleshooting and maintenance experience
To apply, click the button below to share your resume and why you think you're a good fit for this position.
Garbage Gurus is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Scraps does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit & business need.